Monday, October 1, 2012

this thing i just figured out

I am a worrier.

How did this happen?

How did I not realize it sooner?

How can I still have any brown hair on my head with all of the worrying I do?  No wonder I have the wrinkles and lines on my face, right?

Just today, I worried about my mom, Jack, my dad, my friends, Jack's mom, my grandkids including the boy who hasn't even arrived yet, Jr, Stu, and Jessie.  A ton about Jessie.  I worried about figuring out how to make sure I'm there, far away in California, when my girl is in the hospital welcoming her boy into this world.  How do moms survive living away from their kids when the kids are in the hospital?

I also worried about a woman in Australia whose blog I discovered this weekend...she's had a boatload of hard times...I DON'T EVEN KNOW HER BUT I'VE WORRIED ABOUT HER FOR TWO DAYS.

My mom has told me for years that I shouldn't worry so much--if I can't do anything about it, I should just forget about it and let it go.  But how?


What to do, what to do.

Wait.  I think I'm worrying about worrying...


Crap.

Recognizing the problem is half the solution, right? 

1 comment:

Joey said...

As a fellow worrier who is trying to make the quality of my life, as well as those around me, better (because being around worriers is almost as hard as being one), I have found a few catch phrases that help me.

1. Most of what I worry about never happens; therefore, I've worried about this and now it won't happen. (It was the things I didn't worry about that blindsided me!)

2. Don't go borrowing trouble.

3. Things will work out.

The last one is particularly soothing now that I'm old and realize that things really do...work out.