Monday, November 5, 2012

this is not me being mean

Okay.  I don't know what to do about that Facebook thing.

Ever since I joined/sign on/whatever, I've only become friends with people who asked to be my friend.  You know, didn't want to force anything with anybody.  Apparently even though I may seem to be very outgoing, I'm really more of a private-ish person.

But lately, I'm getting more and more invites to be friends.  And it feels like I'm losing control of that space or that the invites are from people who don't really want to be my friend, they just want to have lots of friends.

Weird?

I don't know.  Maybe it started getting weird when my mom asked to be my friend.  I think she does want to be my friend.  But still.

I suspect my kids had that same weirded out feeling when I joined.  I just wanted to see the pictures they post of the grandkids.  It is fun to feel like I'm part of the in crowd.  Not a place I've really been familiar with before Facebook.

But then I realized there's another place to post photos--Instagram? 

And I just want to know what the heck is that?  I thought it was an app for Apple products so since I don't have an Apple product I couldn't participate.  Which leaves me feeling old and not in the in crowd and maybe a bit cranky.  Or at least reminds me of that commercial where all of the Apple kids are waiting in line for the new Apple product and one of them isn't an Apple kid but is instead saving a place in line for his parents.  Because us old parents like to think we're part of the in crowd.

Obviously this is not a good circle to be going round on.  Probably overthinking it.

I think I'll just put down the computer and go eat a piece of that pie I baked yesterday.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

You know the best thing about FB for me is our family page. Sean, who knows all things computer, got sick of us e-mailing 100's of grandchildren pictures so he set up a group page that only our family belongs to. We can quickly share things with family members and the whole world doesn't jump in a comment. I can post what assignments are for dinner and how I felt about our family parties.

Love that we can be the fly on the wall for all those people we knew in high school. Just not sure I want them to be the fly on my wall. Know what I mean?