Tuesday, February 18, 2014

some things

Just a couple of things.  Or maybe three.

First, zumba update.  Vanessa, the teacher I really like, wasn't at class on Thursday, so I went to Charlie's water aerobics class instead.  I didn't think I wanted to go if Sara was going to be teaching zumba because she does so.much.hip.hop.stuff, and I usually end up thinking I'm way too old for that hip hop stuff.  Going to water aerobics was a bit of a mental challenge too though because I had this idea that it would be a class full of gray-haired chubby old women, and obviously, that couldn't be me. 

Yes.  Apparently, sometimes, I'm that judgey. 

But I'd been to a class that Charlie taught (as a substitute), and it was pretty fun and a great workout, so into the pool I went last Thursday, and it was, as before, great, and full of not old chubby women, but mostly men of all ages.  Who knew men do water aerobics?

Along comes Monday, Vanessa's next scheduled class that I go to, where I discovered that Sara was again substituting for Vanessa.  Bummer is what I thought.  But since I was there, I found my usual spot and waited for class to begin.  Because, yes, I have a usual spot now.

Sara fired up the music and started warming us up and than--whoa--something happened in my brain.  I found myself just letting it all go, and there I was, moving my biggest hip hoppy moves ever.  I don't know how I looked, but it was another great workout, and from now on, I'm going to do zumba the same way I do crafts.  My craft projects never looked like everybody else's craft projects, but they are mine.  And that's my new zumba philosophy, doin' it my way, and I'm okay with that.

Second.  We've been watching a bit of the olympics lately and every time I see those skiers doing those big jumps, flipping and twisting and flying, it reminds me of a recurring dream I have where I'm on a huge swing, swinging back and forth, higher and higher and then I jump out of the swing and that's when I realize I am up waaaay to high to expect to land safely on my feet.  I always tried to convince myself I could land safely if I just kept myself slowly floating to the ground, but I always woke up before I landed.  Not sure what that dream meant or if it's a good idea to share dreams on the internet.  But there it is.

And last.  Skiing.  Jr and I went to Alta last Saturday.  It was overcast but warm for winter and even though the lift lines were long, it was still such an awesome ski day.  I'm pretty sure that if we'd done another run or two I'd have stopped the snowplowing and moved totally into the parallel skies form.  Course, I also might have just fallen on my butt or crashed into a snow bank at high speed--but there's still several weeks of good snow and we're going back.  After seeing all of the little kids skiing with bungie cords on their tips to keep their skies going the right direction, Jr got this idea that he should attach bungie cords on the backs of my skies to keep me from snowplowing. 

Uh, sorry, Jr, but no way. 

I'm going to figure out the skiing just like I figured out the hip hop zumba.  Just a few more runs.  You'll see.

No comments: