Thursday, June 26, 2008

technicolor dreams of the past two nights

Dream 1.

I am working as a nanny for one of my neighbors, but I've never met this neighbor in awake life, so I don't know her, I only recognize her home. I'm caring for a two-year-old boy, who is curious and bright and adorable. The mother leaves and then the UPS guy starts delivering packages. It is lightly snowing outside. As I take the packages into the house, I realize that several women I work with and several women I know from high school are in the house and we are having a party. The little boy loves the women. The doorbell rings again and I greet the UPS man who has left so many packages that they are stacking up on the porch. I return to the combination kitchen, living room, tv room to join my friends and realize they have started opening the packages. They have opened a large box that is divided into sections and they are debating about who should get to keep the plates, the bowls, and the colored goblets, which are the source of much discussion. Everyone wants the goblets because they are beautiful, no, magnificent, perhaps even divine. (Those are the words my mind said in the dream.) There are deep red, blue, gold, and green, and some are heavy in your hand and some are the most fragile crystal I have ever seen. There are all sizes and shapes, from tiny little port goblets to the largest drinking goblet. As we ooh and aah over the goblets, the doorbell rings again and it is UPS man and behind him is the mother of the boy and she is slightly upset that I have left packages out in the snow, but more upset that my friends are visiting, and very upset that they have opened her package until she sees the look of delight on her little boy's face. He is sitting with my work friend, Kay, with a tiny but heavy goblet and when she points out that his mother is home, he hops down and runs to show the goblet to his mother.

Dream 2.

I am in my old neighborhood, not the neighborhood where I grew up, but the one where Jack and I raised our kids. I'm going to visit my neighborhood friend, Kay, who is always good to see--she is honest, compassionate, and fun. But in the dream, she lives next door to my parent's house. On the way to Kay's I run into my mom, who begins to correct me about something I've just said and I interrupt her by saying, "There, that's the thing you do that drives me crazy, always correcting me like that," and she giggles and says, "Yes, but you should listen to me because you know I'm always right," and I say, "There, you did it again," and she smiles and says, "Well, that's just the way I am, and I'm always right." I tell her that I need to take a shower and she suggests that I go over by Kay's house where my parents motorhome is parked and use the shower in it. I decide I don't really want to use the motorhome shower so I grab my hair mousse and attempt to put it on my hair. But the mousse container is messed up--the mousse comes out as liquid no matter how many times I try to squirt it out in my hand, and the liquid doesn't make my hair behave. I eventually decide to take a shower after all, but for some reason I have to go through Kay's house to get to the motorhome. I walk in, Kay says hi, and then she throws a can of orange soda at her dear husband, Brian, because he hasn't fixed the fridge and her soda is frozen and she's waited long enough for him to fix it. I'm more than a little shocked as I head out the door with Brian who asks me if I think there's enough room in their backyard for a pear tree because he's wanted one of those for a long time. That's when their daughter, Erica, and her husband walk up and Erica is yelling at her husband and I'm thinking that that is everybit as out of character for Erica to yell as it was for Kay to throw a soda can at Brian. I go into the motorhome, wade through all kinds of clutter to the back of the motorhome to get in the shower. I look out the bathroom window and realize the motorhome has starting rolling backwards down the road. There isn't much of a hill, so I hurry to the front of the rolling motorhome as it crashes through fences, yards, into cars and street signs. I finally get it stopped and attempt to drive it back to park in front of Kay's house. But I can't make the clutch and gears work and when I finally figure out the shifting, I drive back to Kay's and park on the opposite side of the street. When I hop out, I realize that I've effectively blocked the whole street by parking diagonally. I go back in to the motorhome and the whole thing happens again--the rolling backwards motorhome, the crashing into all kinds of stuff, the inability to shift and the bad parking job. And it keeps happening over and over again.


Don't know what to make of either of these dreams except that they both seem very chaotic, which closely matches the last week of life in the gardens.

No comments: