Sunday, February 8, 2009

it's been a while

I spent a couple of days in Minneapolis this past week. The thermometer on my rental car said it was 14 degrees outside when I checked into my hotel. By the time I pulled my suitcase and laptop out of the trunk and walked the 100 feet into the hotel, I thought my bare hands were going to freeze and my fingers would fall off. I didn't see any frozen fingers on the ground though, so I sensed that if I hurried along, I'd be okay. I did think longingly about the fluffy gloves I'd bought last year and never worn, even though they are a lovely teal-blue color.

JoJo is adorable as can be and is growing like a weed. I do wish that she would or could remember to not poop on the dark carpet in the dining room especially when a friend stops by, especially when I can't see the poop she left that I stepped in and could smell constantly--because it was stuck in the treads of my boot--as I showed my friend the rest of the house. Lisa, that was my boot, not my entire house that smelled of puppy poo. (Oh, and all of the extra furniture in the dining room and the 'guest room' is for the basement--when we finish it.)

And speaking of weed, Jack signed up for Netflix recently, and one of the options is to download and watch stuff on the computer. We downloaded a Showtime series called, "Weeds." Not a series I can recommend for everyone--drug use, cussing, violence, sexual situations but no nudity that I remember--but, it seemed to me to contain a very strong anti-drug message. I found myself thinking over and over, drugs make you stupid and get you into some bad deals. But still, it is a very darkly entertaining show.

The drummer and his friends came to dinner tonight (excellent chile verde burritos, prepared lovingly by me), as did Stu and Shi and Audrey. And of course, Jack, Jr and I were there for the food and company. One of the drummer's friends entertained all of us after dinner when he decided he could overpower Oscar with his cat-wrangling skills. He and Oscar played slapping hands/paws for a while and then the friend tried to teach Oscar how to play volleyball using a little fluffy cat toy that hangs on the closet door on an elastic string. Surprisingly enough, Oscar seemed to enjoy the lesson, and before too long, sat up on his back legs, and did his best to slam that fluffy toy right back at the friend. We could tell Oscar was enjoying the game because he was wagging his tail.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

Your dog and cats are all adorable. I wasn't cognizant of a smell, my dear . . . though, you know, I have a dog and a cat at my house, too.

What a fun Saturday.