Friday, February 13, 2009

a pretty great state

Today, I drove north for work. Rode along that controversial Legacy Highway again. There are those who don't like it because the speed limit is only 55 mph. There are those who don't like it because it wanders through wetlands. There are those who don't like it because it takes you past numerous power poles and lines and substations.

But to them, I say, phooey.

Driving 55 mph on a road that meanders through wetlands grants the perfect opportunity to spot birds. And I don't mean just any birds. Today I saw plenty of the usual suspects--starlings, sparrows, finches, and those big black ravens.

But I also saw birds of prey. Hawks of all kinds and two kinds of eagles--golden and bald. Flying and perching. Amazing, huge beautiful predaters.

Rodent eaters. Our heroes!

Oh, and to those who drive the Highway and only see power poles and power lines and power substations, I say, "Look up and see what sits atop those poles and along those lines, and see what soars over those substations." Yes, indeed, a pretty great state.

1 comment:

Skybird said...

My wife and I finally drove the Legacy hiway late one night coming home from the Clifton/Sunset area. I loved the winding road, and the quiet... and missed everything you are writing about! It was dark! I will have to try it again in the daylight, with emphasise on your observations! I love the backroads.

One other thing... I have a client in his late fifties, early sixties who is a Harley Davidson man from the sixties. He is often asked if he would travel other places. He tells people that he has never seen all of Utah yet... what a great place we truly have!

I've seen the eagles, and the hawks, and lots just down on the Jordan River trail here in town... deer, and so many birds.

Yes... we are not alone on this planet!

I loved this blog!