Wednesday, June 10, 2009

i'm telling you, chivalry is not dead

Tonight Jack and I stopped at the Costco to pick up a few things--lettuce and enough toothpaste, soap, and tissue paper to last for a year (or so we like to think), and a couple of loaves of the best eight-grain bread I've ever tasted (Innkeeper's bed and breakfast 8-grain, in case you'd like to try some and need to go to Costco and can't stop in at the gardens for some tea and yummy bread with me).

On the way out, I noticed those big posters that entice shoppers to come eat a hotdog or a jumbo slice of pizza or a frozen nonfat yogurt in a cup...and I was hungry, and after all, it is nonfat yogurt and chocolate, right? So we bought one to share.

Of course, it was pouring down rain as we walked out of Costco. And well, I'm just not one to carry an umbrella. First, because I kind of like feeling the rain on me, and second, because I can't keep an umbrella with Jr around. He has always loved umbrellas.

As we walked to the truck, me trying to cover the yogurt with my hand so it didn't get rain in it and Jack pushing the cart, a man came toward us, staying dry under his umbrella. He looked at me and my hand and my cup of frozen yogurt and then stopped beside me and started walking with me to our truck, with the umbrella over my head and my yogurt, saying that he simply couldn't stand to see me get rain in my ice cream.

Such a small thing but such a thoughtful gesture.

It takes so little effort to be kind, you know?

5 comments:

Jessie said...

I've always appreciated the kindness of strangers. :) I was actually thinking about that just this morning, as a man walking behind me on the street stopped oncoming traffic for me so that we could pass the torn up sidewalk which had left no room for our large double stroller. This was especially refreshing after all the episodes that have left me feeling very out of place here... me with my very young looking face, two kids, and my map. Most of the time it's almost like I can hear the disdain coming from those people's eyes. This gesture, along with a few select others, have been oh so very nice. Glad you didn't get rain in your ice cream.

Jessie said...

Rats. I meant "depended on the kindness of strangers." Leave it to me to get my quotes messed up. Sheesh.

Lisa B. said...

Well done, kind umbrella-toting stranger!

Amelia said...

Truly heart warming, but not ice cream melting.

Johanna said...

Bravo! I've only had to change one tire in my life and have had many strangers stop and do it for me. Don't you love good men?