Sunday, February 14, 2010

is it asking too much?

Where do I start? A stronger marriage than ever before. Four amazingly great adult children. Five adored granddaughters. Two bonus, loved adult children. A swell dog. Three curious cats. A healthy liver in a healing body. Educational opportunities. A satisfying career. Plenty of food and shelter and beauty all around. Good times. Physical strength. Emotional growth.

How is it that with so much I can still feel so sad sometimes? I spend my days and my nights in a life that is filled with so much---yet the sadness persists. Am I recovering from a devastating earthquake? From the lingering, painful death of a loved one? The loss of a spouse or child or even beloved pet? Have I endured the endless pain of recovering from a serious burn or illness? Do I go to bed hungry each night, or worse, watch as my child goes without? Do I live with constant cruelty by or fear of my government or my neighbors or my own family?

no. none of these are my life.

So, why then this deep sadness? How do I rid myself of it? Or, is that too much? Perhaps I expect too much? But how do I live in a world where so many have so little to survive with--or so much suffering--and not feel the sadness?

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I am thinking about you. Keeping you in my heart.