Saturday, February 6, 2010

three random thoughts. that's all.

A couple of things I've had on my mind lately--

~~Jack's truck has about a billion radio stations available, including the 70's on 7 station, whereon we heard the old favorite, "Welcome Back, Kotter." Haven't heard that song in years. Haven't really missed it, but listening to it made me wonder if a whole generation of guys became school teachers after watching that show. Obviously I don't really remember the show too well, but I do think that anything and everything John Travolta did since then must have been better than his Vinnie Barbarino role. Which he repeated in Saturday Night Fever.

~~Me and my math class? We're tight. And so happy together, which is another song I heard in Jack's truck but it was on the 60's on 6 station.

~~When the drummer was in grade school, he had a friend named Matt, who was a nice kid, much bigger than drummer, and really into sports, probably because he had an older brother who really liked the sports who he was always competing against. Matt introduced us to the term, "puppy-guarding". I never truly understood that word until we got JoJo. This is puppy-guarding:




Jo either lost or ate her red squeaky ball. Or the neighbor took it. (Just kidding. I don't think she ate it or gave it to him.) Anyway. She really likes tennis balls, but she LOVES squeaky balls. So we got her a new one that just happens to be the same color as a tennis ball. (Did not realize there was a new game created when we bought the tennis ball green squeaky ball and she probably won't fall for it for much longer...)

So, puppy-guarding--verb; 1. The act, as demonstrated by young dogs, of intently watching an item so that it cannot be taken from the young dog. 2. The act of guarding an opponent too closely, usually involving young boys playing neighborhood football, soccer, basketball, and other team games. "Hey, back off--no puppy-guarding the ball!"

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I have never heard of this term but it is damn good. Hilarious.

Joey said...

Now I'm wondering what things I puppy guard. Hmmm....my family and my time. Actually I wish I could guard both even better than I do.

I never once watched Welcome Back, Kotter in high school. I've seen two or three episodes since and it's an incredibly bad show. Wasn't too fond of the song either. The 70's had some of the WORST music. My least favorite, for obvious reasons, was "Run, Joey, Run." You wait all your life for a song to be about you and it's some punk running from the law with his girlfriend crying her co-dependent eyes out. Sheesh!

We need to do lunch now that things have settled a little for me. What about you?