Wednesday, April 21, 2010

if your dog gets the poops

JoJo got the poops last week. I'd forgotten how nice it is to have a house-trained dog.

After Jack and Jr and I each cleaned up after her for a day or two, I called the vet. My vet is great. So great, that she's kind of hard to get in to see, so rather than making an appointment, I usually just head over there and wait for our turn while everybody in the place oohs and aahs about my adorable dog.

This time, I called and told the person who answered the phone that my pup had the poops. She asked if Jo had gotten into anything and I said nothing out of the ordinary. She told me to give JoJo canned pumpkin, boiled hamburger and rice, and plain yogurt for 72 hours and if she was still sick, I should bring her in on Monday.

These are the things I learned:

1. Yes, canned pumpkin. JoJo loves loves loves it. I was a bit concerned about what color her poop would stain the carpet if she happened to poop pumpkin in the house, but that didn't happen.
2. After three days on the diet, JoJo was back to her old self.
3. Even though I think the diet was considerably cheaper than the cost of the dog food I give her, the vet's office said I couldn't keep her on that diet all of the time. It's a bland diet that is only for when/if she gets the poops again. Seemed pretty balanced to me.
4. Even though Jo is happy with her usual dog food now, she had quite the quizzical look on her face the first time I gave it to her after three days on real human food, if you consider boiled hamburger with rice, canned pumpkin, and yogurt to be human food. And she did.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I will never ever forget when our dog Hopkins, a great dane got the poops. Never. My mom was pregnant, my dad was away. I will spare you the details,,, but seriously. Whoa.