Sunday, January 3, 2016

reflection and resolution

re·flec·tion (rəˈflekSH(ə)n) noun
1.  the throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat, or sound without absorbing it.
2.  serious thought or consideration.
 
res·o·lu·tion (rezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n) noun
1.  a firm decision to do or not to do something.
2.  the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter.



Reflecting back on 2015 confirms my belief that the only constant in life is change.  It was the year when we changed our living arrangements--remodeled the basement in order to move in Jack's brother, and moved his mother to new living arrangements, three times.  It was the year when people we love changed further, both Jack's mom and my dad, and to some extent, my own mother.  It was the year when our family changed again with the wonderful addition of two more incredible granddaughters.  It was the year when my daily work world changed when I stopped talking every day to my best friend at work.

Some of the changes were very hard.  Some were very good.  Some are still evolving.

A few days ago, I heard someone say that the reason why people don't keep their new year's resolutions is because we always make resolutions about things we don't really want to do.   I also saw a post on Facebook that suggested my 'word' for 2016 should be honesty (based on what, I don't know, but it seems like a worthy word for a new year, right?)

In 2016, I resolve (make a firm decision) to live honestly.  To recognize, acknowledge, listen to my inner feelings and emotions.  To communicate more clearly.  To be present with those I love.  To continue to take good care of the gift that is my physical body.  To see, appreciate, and glory in the beauty in nature.  To find peace and joy, while understanding there will be conflict and sorrow, and also, inevitably, change.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I love this little essay, my friend. I need to see you! Maybe on a Saturday, we could find our way to a pancake house. Not this Saturday or next, but maybe the one after that?