Friday, March 27, 2009

a new girl in the crowd

I may have mentioned that Shilo had an ultrasound this week and we will be welcoming another amazing girl into the nest of grandbabies. I can hardly wait.

My mom called me after she learned of the new girl. She said that she was sure this baby was going to be a boy (because after all, that is what she wanted, a boy amongst all of the girls). I pointed out that it would be fun for the kids to have another girl to play with--Audrey and Breanne together, and Janey playing with the new lass.

That's when my mom said, "They are not kids. Baby goats are kids. They are children. I have to remind them of that all of the time at church. It drives me crazy how they call the children kids at church."

I paused for three seconds before saying, "Well, that is the way people talk nowadays."

And she said, "Well, it doesn't make it right. If you want children to respect you, you need to show respect to them."

And then she said she needed to go, she had things to take care of.

And I sat there, feeling a bit off, trying to figure out why her insistence that we all use the more proper "children" instead of "kids" when referring to our young 'uns was so unsettling.

And after a minute, I figured it out.

Did she seriously just straighten me out about R.E.S.P.E.C.T.??? Oh. My. Hell.

No comments: