Tuesday, March 3, 2009

there's a new feeling in this town

Or at least it feels that way to me. Did I mention I was headed to Washington, DC, this week? Yes, that's right, I'm in Obamatown for a couple of days of training--"Intellectual Property in Government Contracting." I can hardly wait. Seriously. Maybe something about attending a class that talks about 'intellectual property' makes me feel smart. Well, that and because, you know, I am. Smart.

Anyway.

The plane ride was exciting on takeoff, landing, and in between. Couldn't help but wonder if there were any geese in the area. But we made it safely. My plane this time was a 757. A nice, big plane with three seats on each side of the row, and lots of head room, even for the tall guys on the flight. I can't really explain this, but for some reason, I feel so much safer when I'm flying on a big plane, even though, in my somewhat logical mind, it only seems obvious that it is more difficult to keep a huge plane in the air than a little plane, which was confirmed today on takeoff and on landing. It must be hard to control one of those big planes. But there is lots of plane around you in case of emergency.

I was on the next to last row on the plane. Rather than get distressed at the thought of having to wait for all of those people to get off the plane before me, I just told myself, "Lucky girl, you are so close to the bathroom!"

I took a cab to my hotel. I love cabbies. They always start a conversation in one or two ways--where are you from or how about this weather? Today, it was where are you from and then how about this weather, compared to the weather where you are from. And then the conversation turned to Obama--how much work he has to do, what a hard job he has, what a good guy he seems to be. I told my friend, Eileen, that I would stop by the White House to tell Obama, "keep up the good work", and accept Michele's invitation to dinner with their family. And obviously, I'd stick around to play with the girls until bedtime. And stay in the Lincoln room, as long as it had at least as nice of linens as the Marriott I'm staying at.

Dinner tonight was cinnamon braised short ribs with butternut squash au gratin and pearl onions. And german chocolate mousse cake for dessert. Holy cow. I am going to have to walk to my class tomorrow. Thank heavens Eileen printed out directions from my hotel to my class.

These are the things I like about work travel:

1. Room service
2. Remote control control
3. No poop or pee to clean up
4. Starbucks on every corner
5. Increase in my intellectual property
6. Time for my JoJo-inflicted wounds to heal
7. As much freecell and scrabble as I want
8. USA Today puzzles pages

These are the things I like least about work travel:

1. No Jack
2. No grandbabies
3. No kids
4. No JoJo or kitties
5. I have to talk to myself instead of somebody else all of the time
6. I still have to do my regular work work
7. Eating alone
8. Not enough time to see all of the cool stuff that isn't in my home town
9. Oh yeah, I don't have access to the home computer network so i can't put together my new masthead as I planned to do on this trip

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I agree with you on the small vs big planes thing-- when we flew out to VA, I took a large plane to somewhere (Detroit, maybe? I can't remember), and then a smaller plane to VA. I was almost ill on the smaller plane, it was just so bumpy and felt so rickety. I was sure we'd be fine, but it was definitely my least favorite flight ever. I think something about the larger planes seems to keep them more stable, in my limited experience.

I hope you have a good time, and hopefully we'll get to chat with you tomorrow. :)

Lisa B. said...

Overall, it sounds fun. I love DC. Some of my happiest museum times I spent there. Also, one of my favorite traveling things is a pile of magazines. Or a delightful novel. Hopefully something like that is a feature of your journey--have as much fun as possible!

Johanna said...

See, Niel travels so I get remote control control a lot anyway!

I, too, love DC. It's a happenin' town...in the daytime. And the dessert you had sounds wonderful!

Have a safe trip back on as big of a plane as you need to feel safe!