Monday, September 28, 2009

random thoughts

1. Yes that was me falling down, so fast in slow motion tonight at the end of my driveway, trying to get to JoJo's ball before it got to the street with her running behind it after she escaped from the house, into the garage, amazingly stopping long enough to jump in the truck when I called her and opened the truck door, but dropping her ball so it rolled down the driveway towards the street, which for some reason, caused me to go after the ball instead of simply closing the truck door while she was inside of it. Once again, I was startled by how quickly I went down, all of the while thinking it was happening in slow motion and surely I could right myself before I hit the ground, but succeeding only to cause more wrenching of the muscles and grinding of the bones that will become more apparent by tomorrow morning when I am more stiff than usual upon arising. I'm convinced that I did not hit my head, but did hit my arm with my belly or ribs or something because they were smarting as I sat in the gutter assessing my tangled, twisted limbs. You are, I'm sure, relieved that JoJo did not run into the street.

2. Saturday, after the family shindig, I got to spend time with Breanne and Janey at their house while their parents went to a concert and holy cow was it fun. We chatted nonstop, ate Skittles, read books, and spent the usual hour or so figuring out the dvd player/tv configuration so we could sing silly songs with the Sesame Street bunch. I realized that evening that one of my absolutely most favorite things in the world, even the universe, is a grandbaby who has just emerged from the bath, been lotioned and dressed, who is allowing me to towel dry her hair, up close to my face so I can see and smell and enjoy the look and scent of a freshly-washed child who I love more than life itself. Those freckles and eyes and skin. Such a treat. So pure, so fresh, so real, so wondrous.

3. After the girlies went to bed, I realized I hadn't brought anything to do with my time--no book to read or study, no sudoko to work, no computer to play on, so I opened up Jessie's laptop--an Apple/Mac product, a bit unfamiliar to me--and realized she had her facebook account open so I could look at the accounts of many of her friends, some of whom it turns out, are also my friends. You see, just last week I thought that perhaps it was time for me to join the world of facebook. I probably looked around for an hour or so and while it was fun to read about the activities and events in the lives of people that I haven't seen for years, it didn't take too long for me to realize I can't be a facebook gal. I don't think I'm capable of tweeting either. Too few words required. Too many gadgety things on facebook. Too busy, too much to respond to, too many people to tend to, too many questionaires and quizzes and games, too many, too much, too, too, too. Not for me. I need more depth. More time. More words. Not that I'm making any kind of statement about all of the zillions of people who love the facebook and the twitter. I'm just not one of them. I'm a blogger. A long-winded blogger. And after closing the door to facebook, I spent the next hour or more drafting letters to people I need to thank on paper.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I thought you'd been on here, glad you at least had a chance to venture around facebook and decide that it's not for you. While I do have issues with keeping my statuses nice and short, as I was definitely born with the words, too, I do enjoy being able to easily keep up with friends without feeling like I have to respond at length to their blog posts or whatever. I'm not into the quizzes, the games, the extras, the whatever, other than Scrabble. Which, by the way, I love. It's also been a great way to find other's blogs--most people post their blog addresses on their profile. It is less committal than blogging, though, which some days is a relief for me.

Jessie said...

Oh, and quit that falling. That's no fun.

Lisa B. said...

I was just going to say: no falling, is my latest motto.

Also, I like the facebook to reply to other people's stuff. And I have my blog set to post to facebook, so those are my main posts. See, you can be long on facebook! But mainly, I agree with you.