Thursday, January 10, 2008

one more treasure from the cedar chest


Earlier this week while sorting through my gramma's cedar chest, I found a small box that contained one of those slide-viewing devices from the 60's. I was about to add it to the box of things headed off to new adventures, but luckily decided to open the box and look at the contents. Inside was the viewer as well as purchased slides from Yellowstone and one slide of my gramma with her first post-grandpa male friend, Dick. He was a fun man that loved her and enjoyed her company after grandpa died.

Under the viewer and slides, I noticed a photo envelope--the kind that has a window so you can see the photo inside. I realized it was a picture of my beautiful grandma, probably from the mid-60's. She was truly a beauty, all of her life. There was another photo tucked in behind the bathing beauty photo--a picture of her and my grandpa on the beach and that photo is the first time I ever saw anything other than a smile on her face. It cracked me up. She looks so irate or angry or something and my grandpa has almost a look like, "What have I done now?" But in my mind it is more likely that whoever took the photo just caught her at an off moment, like maybe a grain of sand blew into her eye or something. Like I said, whenever I saw her, she had a look of pleasure, even delight, to be spending time with me again. I love her so much still. And always.

No comments: