Wednesday, January 2, 2008

One other sweet gift

As mentioned in a previous post, I don't like to rank gifts, but I have to mention one of the gifts that Jack gave me this year.

Several years ago, I developed a taste for chai tea. There is something very soothing about that warm, spicy, sweet taste on a cold day. Especially in the house, by the fire with snowflakes falling outside. But it works equally well in the almost-warmed-up car on the way to work in a blizzard.

Several weeks before Christmas, I noticed Jack googling around on the internet. Then I noticed him checking his email every night after work. I was suspicious that he had ordered something for me for Christmas, but it is difficult to guess what he plans to give to me, because he gives limited, very not-helpful clues. As opposed to me who purchases something and then give so many clues in such a short time that I then have to go back to the Home Depot and purchase additional tools, which I clue him in to and have to go buy more and that is why Jack has such an extensive tool collection in his less than amazing wood shop that is certainly not adequate for a man with his skills.

On Christmas eve, while I was at the hospital with the firstborn, Jack headed out to buy my already-purchased internet gift locally because the internet purchase wasn't going to arrive in time for the holiday. Jack came to the hospital to take me home to open my presents after a long, stressful night of worry, and the gift he had purchased was waiting for me to open it so he could make me a warm, soothing cup of chai. He bought me my own milk frother/foamer and better still, he has made me some of the most delicious cups of tea I've ever tasted. Might be the foamer, but more likely the love.

No comments: