Saturday, December 29, 2007

my best Christmas gift

I typically don't like to rank Christmas gifts in order of greatness because I think that any gift has value if someone takes the time to think about it and then goes out and shops (whether in the mall or on the internet).

I have received many thoughtful gifts from family and friends over the years, but this year I recognized that I received the best gift I could ever hope for.

Jack and I have been together for over 30 years. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday that we said our I dos, and other times it seems like we've been together forever, since we were born, like all our lives. The past while has been some of the all our lives time and not always in a good way. All of the issues of the past few years came to a head this autumn and for a while, I didn't know how we could possibly resolve things.

But Jack did. He never lost sight of how good we are together; all of the good things we've done together through the years; and all of the good things we have together in the future. He stuck it out through some pretty deep sh*t and stayed by my side.

That is, without any doubt, the best gift I could ever hope for. A good man who loves me enough to stick around when I totally mess things up and loves me enough to recognize the parts that are his deal to work through and the parts that are my deal to work through and the parts that are our deal to work through together. Even when it truly is work.

Us together is the best gift. I love you, Jack.

No comments: