Monday, December 17, 2007

Seriously

Several months ago, I did one of my absolutely most favorite shopping things. In fact, I love it so much that I do it as often as possible. Sometimes I go years between trips because they are so fun.

Some of you may be able to relate--I went shopping for new underthings, bras in particular. I think the only time I was excited to purchase new bras was the first time my mother took me to Sears, to the lingerie department, and I got three brand-new white training bras--finally, since I was absolutely the last girl in the sixth grade to get a bra. And actually didn't need one even then, but my mom read my diary and realized it was crucial to my development to have that back-slapping strap before I started gym class in seventh grade.

I wore that same type of bra for many, many years--until the feeding of my first child, which required nursing bras. Now there's a sexy bra, that at the time, even I could fill out.

After all of the kids were born and weaned, I tried different styles of bras, always avoiding the lacy ones (they left lines under my shirts on my once again flat chest). Typically, I purchased something very similar to the training bras but in a B-cup size that I barely filled out. Eventually I started purchasing slightly padded bras (this was all before those fetching gel/water-filled bras that seem to me to be just a bit deceptive to the boys, sort of like steroids in sports I guess. How can a flat-chested girl ever compete for boys against a femininely curved girl, much in the same way that a non-steroid user can't compete against a steroid user/denyer? Yeah, I know, get a good personality or be a punter.)

In the past few years, I (along with many women my age) have gained a few pounds. I prefer to think of myself as a woman now, instead of a girl. Somehow that helps with the weight gain.
That weight has been distributed fairly evenly which means I had this idea that I needed some better-fitting bras. Well, that and the store where I buy bras only had two of my favorites available in my new larger size.

For the first time in my life, I entered (with the intention to purchase, not mock) the big-girl bra department of the store and tried on a couple of big-girl bras. Holy smoke they were big everywhere! Big cups, big straps, big back strap, with two, count 'em, two hooks, and even big side straps. I was astounded and a little bit overwhelmed. I had to sit down in the dressing room (on the floor because it isn't a high-end store) to contemplate whether or not I could actually enter this new phase of my life.

After several minutes on the floor, I put on my shirt over the big-girl bra and realized that that big-girl bra felt more comfortable. And I looked better. Something to do with that old Playtex commercial about 'lifting and separating' or something.

I decided it would be safe to buy the two usual favorite bras and then also purchased two big-girl bras that I considered returning, all the way on my drive home. By the time I arrived in my garage, I had decided that I would use the big-girl bras whenever I exercised, which explains why, several months after my purchase, they were still in my underthings drawer last week. And also perhaps why, in addition to my age, I have gained a few (okay, several) pounds.

That none-laundry-for-weeks-day was when I realized that by not doing my laundry for a couple of weeks, I would have to resort to wearing one of the big-girl bras in a non-exercising event, like, oh, life that day. So, I bravely took one out of the drawer, removed the tags, and carefully put it on, making sure it was carefully adjusted.

It only took me a couple of minutes to realize that this was the bra for me! I haven't felt as comfortable in a bra since maybe that first training bra. Apparently I did need that bra in sixth grade, and apparently I needed the big-girl bra now.

I just have one question for my fellow big-girl bra wearers. When you lay down on your back in bed with your big-girl bra on, does it get all wrinkly?

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

Wow, a saga about bra buying. I will not put into writing my feelings on this topic, except to say that one of The Most Humiliating And Enraging events of my life was going into Giant Mall Lingerie Store (hint: it's full of pink decor) and having one of the salesgirls whip out her tape measure and proceed to measure me then and there. Sheesh. In front of everyone.