Tuesday, May 20, 2008

it isn't just the baggy pants

You may recall a previous post about some women I know who regularly discuss their weight loss successes. To be accurate, that was the conversation on that particular day that was griping me, but deep down, secretly, it isn't the real issue.

The real issue is that one of them has taken on the persona of "only possible woman in the office who knows anything about fashion", aka opwowkaaf, or opwo for short. The opwo is the person who convinced me that I needed to begin shopping at Ann Taylor. And, well, I must confess that I love the little details in the clothes I buy at Ann Taylor, like the soft linings in the pants and the little tucks and tiny buttons and pockets in just the right places.

Yes, I do love a sale at Ann Taylor. But that isn't really the issue. The issue is that somehow, we have allowed the opwo to declare what is "CUTE". As in, 'those are cute sandals' or 'that's a cute top', or the ultimate, "That's a cute OUTFIT!" Often, the declaration is followed by, "Is it new?"

One time, about a year ago, she declared that I--ME, the older woman in the office--was wearing a cute outfit. And I still remember very clearly that THE OUTFIT was a gray wool skirt and a black cashmere sweater with a white cami underneath and black tights with black flats. And black and sterling silver posts.

Seriously, ever since that day, my goal has been to wear a CUTE OUTFIT again. But no. I have occasionally worn 'cute sandals', and a couple of times I wore a 'cute top', but never again have I heard those magic words--CUTE OUTFIT.

I really thought I had it today. I wore a white loosely fitted cami with an unbuttoned white fitted shirt over it and a new khaki skirt and my new white eyelet fabric wedge sandals--the big bow on the top is made of that fabric, and, well, they are definitely cute.

I was right. The sandals were CUTE. But not the outfit. To be honest, it wasn't new either. But it felt so so cute. Lucky for me I was swamped with work today, so I only felt the bitter sting for a brief moment first thing this morning.

Never fear internet readers. I will continue with my attempts to find another CUTE OUTFIT. And I will keep you updated. And you must keep your fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

No way! is that opwo the official arbiter of fashion. You *did* have a cute outfit today, I can tell. opwo is sadistically withholding deserved compliments to maintain her reign of fashion bossiness. Overthrow the opwo. Next time she says, "cute shoes," you say, "no, YOU have cute shoes!" It will drive her nuts. Then, later, you can start bestowing compliments--and I know you'll be more generous, because I know *you*!

gilian said...

Again, you totally get me! I must try your suggestion tomorrow.

btw--today I had 'cute' earrings. But seriously, they were anything but cute. I was just messing with her...hehehe...

The Baker said...

you really think it matters what someone thinks about your clothing, you work at ATK not aeropostale or ann taylor. they hired you for you braines and degree not for your "cute sandals" which coincidentally sit under a desk when you are doing what you are suppose to be doing.