Monday, July 13, 2009

i have so much to tell you

Don't worry, I'm not going to spill it all in one post. I just can't decide where to start.

Okay, I've made the decision. I need to tell you about the ocean. Because we didn't take the camera, you're going to have to put on your imagining hats and work with me.

We decided to go to the ocean on Saturday, but we didn't decide which beach to go to. Since we were in the rental car--a PT Cruiser--we got on some freeway-type road and I figured out, as the navigator, where we were and where the closest beach was located. It was Ocean Beach. That's the name of the town as well as the name of the beach. Clever, eh?

The cool thing about Ocean Beach is that it isn't just a people beach, it's also a dog beach. Yes, a DOG BEACH! How great is that? We saw no, none, not a bit of dog poo, but if I were you, I would never touch seaweed again, if you ever thought about touching it before. Dogs pee on it.

So, back to the beach. Imagine a long stretch of sandy beach on a beautiful, not too hot, not too cold summer day, and imagine about a thousand dogs and their thousand owners. All sizes, shapes, colors, ages, and the dogs were different breeds too! (sorry, couldn't help myself)

There were so many dogs--dogs running, chasing, leaping, barking, wagging, resting, digging--any dog activity you can think of, except, well, there was no breeding or biting, and very little growling. IT WAS GREAT! I couldn't stop thinking about how much JoJo would have enjoyed that beach. Next time we need a vacation road trip, I'm taking the dog to Ocean Beach.

And then the other cool thing about Ocean Beach was the ocean. I'm kind of a baby about the ocean and the waves and the coldness and all of that sandy, salty water. But it was so hot that we headed to the people beach and I waded out and let the waves splash up over my feet, up to my knees, and before I knew it, I was getting splashed around the ears. (I think I still have ocean water in my right ear. I can hear it.) Anyway. Think about ocean waves, lifting you up, setting you down, lifting you up, setting you down. And think about the sound of kids laughing and playing. And think about water so dark blue--like this color--and think about that ocean cooling your overheated skin, soothing you, calming you. I have not felt so calm in years. It was perfect.

2 comments:

Johanna said...

Sigh.

Lisa B. said...

There is literally nothing like the ocean. And you totally captured it.