Friday, June 25, 2010

now why does that date sound familiar?

All day yesterday I kept thinking I was missing something. Every time I entered the date into a document or an agreement at work, I found myself wondering about that date. Why was June 24th a date I remembered? What significance did it hold? I knew it wasn't a birthday for any of my kids or their spouses or kids or Jack or me or our parents or siblings. But still, it seemed like I was forgetting something that made it a special day.

Today, as I was driving north, it hit me. The Cowboy Junkies were going to perform at the Arts Festival downtown on June 24. That must be why I remembered that date, and dang if I didn't forget to go see them. I love their music, especially "Sweet Jane." I find myself humming that song and thinking about our sweet Janey. I told myself that was the reason the date was familiar.

But still. That wasn't it. I knew the Junkies were performing on Thursday, but I hadn't noted the date as June 24th. Last night while I was forgetting to go to the concert, I did my best to stay away from my computer. No internet shopping, no blogging, no freecell. I needed to do my math homework, which is how I spent the evening.

The day before my ex-boss's last day at work, another attorney was in our office, working with my boss on an issue. The other attorney noticed the pictures on my boss's desk of his brand new, longed-for, eagerly awaited, adored, granddaughter and commented about the cute little girl, asking my boss her name. My boss, who had been under tremendous pressure for months, hesitated, stuttered, and said, "Her name is, uh, uh, her name is..." and his voice trailed off. Both Eileen and I called out, "Her name is Addie" and my boss said that was right, her name is Addie.

Tonight, when I checked out Facespace, I finally realized the true meaning of June 24th. It is the day when one great guy promised to stay with my one great girl eternally. It is the day they started their trip on the great adventure that is their life together.

I've watched those two together for the past six years. I've watched them become a couple and then become parents and then add more children to their family. I've watched them worry and enjoy. And I'm so glad to see them together, working, playing, talking, learning, laughing.

I've never been the mom or wife or friend who makes a huge deal out of stuff. I think I only planned one birthday party for my kids that involved more than a few party games or a trip to play laser tag and eat pizza and cake and ice cream. I don't decorate for holidays except Christmas, and as much as I like to see my old friend ornaments and such, I don't know if I'd even get them out if it weren't for Jr, who drags out the boxes and hangs the lights and decorates.

I'd like to be able to say that I remember all of the important events and milestones in life. I remember moments, like when Jessie tried on her wedding dress and like when she invited me to her first ultrasound and I saw Breanne for the first time. I remember many years ago, when I got my first car and had my first date with Jack and held my babies for the first time, but I seem to be losing yesterday and last week. I am blaming this on the stresses of life.

The point of this post is to say, "Happy Anniversary yesterday, Cory and Jessie." I hope you had a sweet day together and many, many more forever.

~~~~~~

And Stu and Shi, if I didn't mention it, Happy Anniversary last May 10.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Hey thanks. :) It was a pretty great day, six years ago, and every one since. I am a lucky, lucky girl.

Joey said...

Joy is found in the moments. The dates aren't the joy. You do well to remember the moments. Especially at our age! :)

Lisa B. said...

That's good advice, there, that your friend Joey just mentioned.

For my part, I forget everyone's anniversary, but when it does happen to be on my radar, I like remembering the happinesses of those days. There are a lot of them. I'm happy for each and every one of my children in their choice of spouse.

And happy anniversary to Jessie and Cory, and Stuart and Shi!