Monday, June 14, 2010

oh jeez, what was i thinking?

After nearly 36 years of driving, I got my first ticket today.
Probably deserved many other tickets for many other offenses.
I've paid numerous tickets for other family members over the years.
Mine is a parking ticket.
I parked in the faculty parking lot at my school.
I'm not faculty.
How can there be no--NO!--available spaces in student parking lots during summer semester?
Why are there three or four almost empty faculty parking lots--not stalls, LOTS?
Shouldn't parking be based on driver age instead of student/faculty status?
In another week, half of the kids will stop attending class and there will be many available stalls in student parking areas.
If only I'd realized how precious my unspotted driving record felt before I parked in that faculty parking lot.

See, sometimes the stuff I feel bad about is really not such a big deal.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

My only ticket ever was also a parking ticket, which was taken back after I explained to USU's staff that my RA had told me I was allowed to park in the lot without a permit because it was the last week of school, and kids were moving out. So my ticket record remains unspotted.

Colleges just never seem to have enough parking. Cory's had more of those tickets than I can count because he couldn't take the time to find a spot--sometimes class is just more important than the 10.00. Blah.

Joey said...

I have a long line of tickets reaching back to 1974. No wonder the cops never let me go with a warning when they pull me over.

I'm envious of your record. You are lucky to have kept it as long as you have because I remember being pulled with you once when you got pulled over on State Street. You gave that pixie little smile and shake of the head and he let you off.

gilian said...

Really? I got pulled over on State? I mean, I don't doubt what you're saying because you remember so much better than I do, but I don't remember that event.

Maybe my record isn't spotless...