Thursday, August 5, 2010

conversations in my head

1. Jack offered to take care of the dishes and the garbage around here. We discussed how long we've been married, that we both have full-time jobs, and we might both be capable of some contribution to the upkeep of the place. He suggested that he would be responsible for dish doing and garbage control.
2. Jack hired someone to come in every other week to clean bathrooms, floors, dust, wipe off fingerprints and smudges, and vacuum. Do I feel some guilt? Only until I remember that he's hired a person who is in college and is very pleased to be earning $20 an hour. He pointed out that my time has value and he really doesn't see himself doing any of these jobs on a regular basis, which I thought were both highly credible data points.
3. Math 1090 is complete. Took the final last night. Holy cow was it hard. So hard that it caused the kid sitting behind me to define it as "one of those below-the-belt tests." Seriously. I had a solid A before the final, but it is worth 30% of the grade, and I'm only for certain sure that three of my answers were correct. If my brain weren't so mathdead, I'd figure out how many answers I needed to get right to keep that A. Instead, I spent the first 45 minutes, searching, attempting to find even one problem that I could solve easily, only to realize that not even one of my answers for the multiple choice problems were one of the options a,b,c, or d. And there was no "none of the above" choice. sheesh.
4. We are now working a 9/80 schedule. What is a 9/80 schedule, you ask? We work 9 hours, Monday-Thursday, and then 8 hours on every other Friday, which means we get the other Fridays off. Every other Friday off! Did you hear that? Tomorrow is our first Friday off and I can't even describe how excited I am to have a day off when everybody else at work will be off work, so there won't be a heap of catchup work on Monday. Sweet.
5. Back to that housecleaner? When I got home last night after my final, the place was, well, tidy. Jack had done the dishes and taken out the garbage. Last night before bed, I noticed that both of my two shelves of pretties--elephants, angels, naked girls, etc.--were dust free. And the toilet paper in the hallway bathroom was folded over on the end, just like it is when you stay at a hotel. I'm feeling pretty good about all of the above.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

What? is this a story book you're living in (minus the math part, of course--)? Oh my gosh. I think about hiring someone . . . but have never. Sophie thinks I should. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh. But good for you guys. Well done.

Johanna said...

I'm glad you're getting some good things in your life.

Jessie said...

Yes, sounds like the good life to me.

Jessie said...

Minus that whole part about going to work and school, of course.