Monday, August 9, 2010

what does this mean?

I had a dream a few nights ago and I've been trying to figure out what it meant.

I was a college student attending Kent State. It was the end of class time and all of the kids were ready to leave our classroom and head off to their next class. I knew that would be a bad idea. I told my classmates that we should stay in the classroom or we wouldn't be safe. But the kids thought I was being silly and they needed to get to their next classes. So, hesitantly, I followed the kids, but I knew we were headed into trouble. And I was right. Guns started firing. It only lasted 13 seconds, but several kids had been hit, some wounded badly, and others were dead. I kept thinking that I knew they shouldn't have gone outside, but they wouldn't listen. And then I realized I'd been shot twice in my right hip. It was surreal and real all at once. And a bit disturbing.

2 comments:

Shi said...

Maybe it means next time you get that feeling you should go with it... I dunno... I hope you aren't in any situations like that.

Joey said...

Interesting mix of history and subconscious. And Kent State is something that our kids don't understand. I think it's indicative of how you wish your kids would learn from the life you've lived and sidestep some of the same mistakes. It's the perpetual plea of parents. And, yet, the human response is to ignore the elder and wiser and plow full speed ahead. And as parents, we just have to watch and then be there to hold them when they need it.