Sunday, March 30, 2008

on a lighter note, albeit deeper...

Lately, here in the gardens we've been thinking about global warming or as Jack now calls it, climate change. As you all know, I am no scientist, since I never completed even a physics class, but I have had several thoughts swirling around in the "global warming" room in my brain and it seems that they will continue to swirl unless I blog about them. Allow me to present my theory relating to global warming:

1. From what I hear and read, it appears that the average temperatures of everything on our planet are rising.

2. It seems very plausible to me that as more and more humans are born on the planet, we as humans consume more and more energy, and expend more and more waste products.

3. Since much of the waste we produce comes from internal combustion engines that are driven by petroleum based products, it seems very likely that at the least, we are expelling more pollution into the atmosphere every day.

4. And that explains why the average temperature is dropping because the atmosphere is more polluted, which restricts the amount of sunlight that warms the earth.

Uh. Wait a minute. That wasn't the way it all worked out in the global warming room. What the hell? It was all supposed to work out that if we could limit the use of petroleum and coal-based products, the air would clear, allowing more intense sunlight to generate energy at solar energy farms in the desert that would produce a clean form of energy that makes me feel happy.

Okay, let's rethink #3. Perhaps it isn't just that we expel too much waste into the air that pollutes and lessens the intensity of the sunlight. Maybe it's that we expend so much energy into the air from all of those internal combustion engines that give off heat that cause the temperature to rise.

Hm. Well, my economics teacher taught me that economists (and scientists, too, I suppose) put their thoughts down on paper, call those thoughts a theory, and wait for others to disprove those thoughts. After some arbitrary length of time, after none of the real smartypants can disprove the theory, it becomes a law.

So, consider the above Gilian's Theory of Climate Change.

Smartypants, the floor is yours.

2 comments:

Jack said...

What do we need scientists for with facts like that. I always thought the scientific world was just a bunch of hooey anyway.

gilian said...

Theories are based on facts? Sheesh, who knew?