Saturday, March 1, 2008

why not?

Several weeks ago, this idea started circulating in the gardens. It started out fuzzy around the edges, but by last Friday morning, it had firmed up and become this: Why not invite my four best friends from high school to come to my house for food and conversation? And why not put together some cute invitations and mail them to my friends? And why not include extra invitations for them to send to other friends from high school? And why not mail them last Friday and have the deal today? And since I couldn't think of any reason why not, that is what I did.

Some of my friends and some of their friends (who I knew in school too) came to my house today. We used the pretty grown-up woman dishes that I've collected over the years from my mom and from yard sales--I've never used them before, but I thought that since we are grown-up women, those crystal dishes would be appropriate. We had yummy chicken rollups and fresh veggies and strawberries and also pastries from the bakery at The Store for desert. And we sat in the dining room and grazed and talked and laughed and even shed a few tears, catching up with each other and talking about the ones who weren't there. We all agreed it was a good idea and planned to meet again in a month or two...

Without Jack and Jack Jr's help tidying up and shopping and preparing food, the deal would not have been as successful, because I might have fallen apart and locked myself in the bedroom. But they both pitched in and helped make it easier for me.

Thanks guys. It was lovely.

No comments: