Wednesday, August 19, 2009

modern pharmaceuticals

Okay, so Dr Kid did numb my mouth this time.

He also worked really really really hard on replacing my two broken fillings. I probably should have considered how hard he was working when he broke either four or five drill bits while working on those two molars. But the gas made it seem like we were all having such a swell time, especially after he confirmed that the first snapping sound in my mouth was that of a bit breaking, not my tooth.

Typically after dental work, my head hurts a bit but swallowing a couple of ibuprofen and some food settles things down and I feel all better by the next morning. Early this morning, I think sometime around 2:30, I realized the Kid had worked harder than I had noticed. So hard, in fact, that my jaw and my cheek and my eye socket and maybe even my right brain hurt. All day.

And ibuprofen just wasn't fixing it, so all I can say is that even though I don't have any of the novacaine or the gas or any of the other drugs suggested by you thoughtful readers, I did have some leftover lortab from that nasty gum surgery experience from almost a year ago and that lortab was gloriously still effectively wonderfully pain-relieving.

Another thing I'm delighted to note is the amazing healing property of lip and mouth tissue. I think that in just another day or two the scab on my lip that looks like a big fat cold sore, but isn't because I don't get cold sores, but is instead the place where apparently the top two layers of lip tissue were pealed off because they were attached to his dental gloves that were in my mouth for so.so.long...anyway...my lip should be healed by the weekend too.

I'm beginning to understand why visits to the dentist and anxiety are closely related in some part of my mind.

Posts like this are not convincing Jack that he should make an appointment for that new crown Dr Kid recommended for him the other day.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

the horror. reading this post is kind of like watching that old Dustin Hoffman movie, Marathon Man? where Laurence Olivier plays the Nazi dentist? it was just that scary.