Sunday, October 4, 2009

amidst all the banging and drilling and wire pulling

Jack and Jr and the drummer have been working on the basement remodel for the past couple of days. I typically underestimate the scope of such a project (me: seriously, we just need to paint and put up a ceiling and lights and get carpet, right? Jack: and rerun all of the wiring for outlets and switches and lights and cable and internet, and remove and replumb the drains from the washer and upstairs laundry sink so they are not in the middle of the room, and run a vent duct from Jr's dryer to outside of the house, and reinstall the hot water heating pipes and radiators, and replace the windows and sills and frames, and finish spackling and sanding. And then we can paint and install ceiling, lights, and carpet).

So it might take more than a week of evenings? Okay, I get it. But at least the project has begun again and it's been more than great to see and hear Jack and the boys working well together. I've not heard any whistling or singing, but I've also not heard any hollering or cussing, so there you go.

Today, I woke to the sound of thunder and the flash of lightning and more thunder and rain splattering hard on my windows. I thought about how rainstorms in the spring feel so different from rainstorms in the fall. And I got up and took my camera outside to get some pictures of one of my burning bushes in the rain.

And this is what you get when you can't get your flash to turn off and you don't want to get out from under the deck to take a closeup because you are so sweet that you'll simply melt if that rain splashes on you.


2 comments:

Joey said...

Love the rain. Love the fall. Love it all.

Lisa B. said...

I love this picture! Beautiful.