Tuesday, October 6, 2009

a month later

On September 6, Stu got a healthy liver. One month ago today. I think about how he looked before the surgery. I think about how he looked immediately after the surgery. I think about how he looks now. I think about how he'll look in another month.

Once again I have to say the whole experience has been remarkable. His liver enzymes are still far lower than we'd ever hoped for. His color is so, so, so normal. He only has a few staples remaining in his belly and a mostly healed-over incision. No tubes, no wires, no monitors. Just a belly covered with steri-strips until they all fall off in a few more days.

He told me tonight he isn't yet strong enough to call a batter out on strikes in a major league baseball playoff game, but seriously, did he ever really want to do that anyway? I mean anymore than any of us? Today he was strong enough to talk on his cell phone to me and walk at the same time. I know, amazing, right?

It is really amazing. Awesome. Incredible.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Beautiful.

Amelia said...

Great news.

Johanna said...

Amazing is a good word. Can you believe how lucky we are to live in these days?

Stu said...

You're telling me :)