Thursday, December 31, 2009

what a year

I spent several hours this morning reading my blog posts from the first half of this year and several hours tonight reading the posts from the second half of this year.

My, oh my, what a year.

There were many lists, of course. Of note:

1. Even though I eventually put away my candy thermometer early this year, I got it out in time to produce my best-ever caramels by the end of the year.

2. Stu was listed for a liver transplant early this year, received a healthy liver way sooner than we thought possible, and despite a bump here and there, is recovering remarkably well. (If you don't count the cold/flu/whatever the heck it is he has now.)

3. The gardens were glorious again.

4. I am blessed with good friends.

5. Jack and I are good together, including Our efforts (Jack's and mine) with the trainer that resulted in a loss of 50 lbs between the two of us--35 for him and 15 for me. Okay that was from May to Thanksgiving. We took a di-atus, if you will, for the month of December and have done our very best to rid the gardens of all yummy treats before we get back on the path to fitness tomorrow morning. I consider that month of eating whatever we wanted and ignoring the exercise equipment as part of our plan on the path to fitness. A little gift we gave each other for the holidays. Besides, he had a bum thumb to heal. And it is. Healing.

6. Sadly, my mom called yesterday to tell me my cousin, Steve, died from complications of diabetes. Such a mean, nasty illness. Such a good, fun-loving man. He will always have a place in my heart.

7. The lovely baby Ellie joined us in July. Such a sweet, cuddly, happy baby.

8. I spent many, but never enough hours with my family. For example, today my mom, Shilo, Audrey, Jessie, Breanne, and I went to McDonald's for lunch and then headed downtown for the final show of 2009's Nutcracker ballet. The girlies wore their new matching dresses and were the highlight for everyone in attendance. As I pointed out to all, yes, the dresses were cute, but the girls were adorable. And who isn't grateful when her daughter purchases a minivan so we can all ride together to the theater? Well, except for maybe the daughter driving the minivan who was given nonstop driving directions from everyone over the age of four. Or was that over the age of 74? Anyway. We made it there and back and it seemed we all enjoyed ourselves.

~~side note: We dropped off Shi and Audrey, and my mom, and then Jessie and Breanne came in to visit for an hour before heading home. Within, oh, maybe 12 minutes, my doorbell rang, and then immediately rang again before I could get to the door, which told me clearly it was my mom. Bingo! Breanne followed me to the door and as my mom entered, said, "Hey, we jus' took you to you house." And now I have a sack full of tablecloths and napkins that my parents received as wedding gifts almost 58 years ago. Thanks, mom.

9. My next post may include photographic proof of the progress being made on the pet bff project and maybe even a photographic progress report on the basement remodel.

Happy 2010 to each of you, dear readers.

1 comment:

Joey said...

Happy New Year....may this be one filled with peace and contentment.