Saturday, May 1, 2010

21

My baby is 21 today. Jr is 21. I can't believe how quickly the years go by. I can't believe what a great kid he has grown up to be.

Jr has always been a curious, sensitive, loving, tender, explosive, bright, fun, funny kid. The past 21 years have been a delightful ride with him directing from the back seat. Before he was three years old, we knew he would be in charge, from the moment he announced, from his carseat in the back seat of our Ford Bronco, on the way home from a road trip to California, that he was "The Rule Miester" and he would be making the rules from now on. We all exchanged amused glances, but he was serious. We'd never talked about rules in our house before that, but we soon realized that rules were important to Jr and he has been very good at making sure everybody obeys the rules.

Jr has been very curious about the way things work and has never hesitated to do whatever was required to figure things out. He has also enjoyed cleaning of all types especially if chemicals or specific equipment is required.

Jr is very sensitive to the feelings of others, especially those who can't always fend for themselves, and he has also been fiercely protective of me. I love him so very much.

Last night, Jr and I headed to Old Navy to shop for things for him and also to find some summer clothes and a new purse for me. Jack and I are at the airport right now, about to board a flight to Philadelphia for a work/pleasure trip, and while I was hesitant to book a trip that leaves on Jr's birthday, he was perfectly okay with it. Especially when he found out we were going shopping at Old Navy, because another trait of Jr is a love of shopping. Who wouldn't love to spend time with a kid like that?

So, Jr picked out a couple of pairs of pants and a couple of shirts and a jacket, while I scored big with a new bag and several lightweight tops--brightly colored for summer and perfect for packing and sightseeing in Philly. Downsides to the trip are that my back is still a mess and the Flyers (the NHL hockey team) are playing in Boston until the evening of the day we come home. Upside is I have some amazing medication for my back and Jack has scoped out some great sites to see.

Jr, hope you have a great birthday. Keep the party guests under control--no visits from the local police, please.

Oh--one other thing, dear readers. I fear I did not adequately describe one of the pictures I posted earlier this week of my sweet baby jo, because no one commented about it. So, I'm posting it again.



Please note, this is not a posed picture. It is JoJo's normal stance while she's waiting for something to come her way-whether it's a cat or a ball. She slinks around the corner, peers around the corner, and stealthily waits. It really is hilarious...and very cute!

1 comment:

Joey said...

Happy Belated Birthday to the Rule Meister.

Don't you love when you love your kids? What a gift! I mean how wonderful to like who they are and like to be with them and know that you would choose them over all the kids in the world to be yours if you had that choice.

I can't imagine what it feels like to grow up as a family and not like each other.