Tuesday, May 18, 2010

on the one hand

I'm back. But not so much.

On the one hand, my sinus infection/strep throat is almost all better. On the other hand, I've adopted the "if under stress, eat carbs and gain weight" mentality.

On the one hand, I planted five or more varieties of ground covers, adding blues and pinks and purples to the yellows and whites of spring out back. On the other hand, I haven't had time to plant the lilies, peonies, dahlias, or gladioli that Jr picked out.

On the one hand, I have a job that is interesting and pays well. On the other hand, over 200 more employees will be laid off tomorrow, which will almost cut in half my company's work force since last year at this time. Almost half--several thousand people--in just one year.

On the one hand, I realized today that if I were laid off, we would have to cut back on the eating out and such, but we'd be okay. On the other hand, I realized that I'll likely keep working until the day I die, trading money for moments.

On the one hand, it was very freeing to realize I have options. On the other hand, it is such a downer to realize I'll probably not exercise those options.

On the one hand, I talked to all of my kids and the drummer's girl yesterday and I spent precious time with all of the girlies last weekend. On the other hand, the drummer is once again halfway around the world, or perhaps just halfway across the country, and I miss him already.

On the one hand, my glass is far more than half full. But on the other hand, how can that feel so empty?

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

So much of this I identify with. That part of about the options and not exercising them. The part about here they are and there they go.

I'm sorry you've been sick. Not fair.