Saturday, May 22, 2010

what a day. even for me.

I'm not going to lie, today was a busy one. And in a completely unrelated note, the new masthead is a shot of the mother's day roses from Jack that I found on my camera, and this is one of my favorite recent pictures of me:



Today is my dad's 85th birthday. My mom came so close to pulling off a surprise party, but dad figured it out shortly before guests began arriving and decided it was the perfect time to have my brother and his grandson, Brayden, take him to Ace Hardware to buy a magnifying glass for Brayden. By the time they got back, dad had calmed down and seemed to enjoy seeing his brother, sisters, nieces, nephews, kids, grandkids, neighbors, and friends.

Stu got this shot of dad explaining something critically important to Brayden and his mom, my niece, Emily.



Dad's beef about having such a big deal for him is that mom works too hard putting it all together, and she does. She won't let anybody help. Not even my cousin who offered to bring a fruit tray (since her husband is a local produce guy). She finally agreed that my sister-in-law could bring her favorite pasta salad. And she agreed that I could bring pies after I told her I had planned to give dad a pie for his birthday (although she also bought a huge chocolate cake, a berry cake, and a heap of sweet breads).

Dad's other complaint is that mom has to be telling everybody what to do. I have no idea what he is talking about, but I did find this picture was on my camera today--it's a shot of a sticky note that is taped over one of the light switches in my mom's house. (In case you can't tell, it says, "Don't Touch-Shuts off TV")




When I woke up around 5:30 this morning, I got up and started making pies, until Sugar texted to see if I wanted to yard sail. Of course I wanted to yard sail, so Jack agreed to swap baked for unbaked pies in the oven. I got back home, calmer and happier, just as Jack was preparing to go to the instacare for antibiotics. Poor Jack.



And, in another unrelated note, I found this shot on my camera of the drummer with his girl and one of sweet Audrey--






Mom neglected to tell me she'd told people the party/open house would begin at noon and end at 6:00. At some point, I realized there was no way she was going to be able to get all of the leftover food she'd bought and prepared collected and back into the fridge, so my brother and I started hauling it all back into the house and after only two hours, it was all safely in the fridge and the massive quantities of bowls and serving platters and silverware were washed, dried, and put away. The pie was all gone. Except for the one I put aside in the house for dad.

Then it was time to go home and play like I was Paul McCartney and Janey was John Lennon.

Can you see the resemblance? You may call me Sir. Just don't wake me for a while.


1 comment:

Joey said...

Love the pics! It sounds like a fulfilling day. You were due, I think. Love ya!