Monday, September 13, 2010

a few thoughts. maybe five.

First. I should probably thank Jr for deciding he needed to take a bath tonight. Which means he had to empty out the tub--the temporary closet in the bathroom while I've been painting closets and drawers and cabinets. I thought about sorting through the heap of towels yesterday and only putting the newer towels back into the linen closet. Jack said he might be able to use the old, ratty-looking towels as rags in his shop. So, Jr's bath tonight meant he piled up the heap of towels on the bathroom floor, which inspired me to sort through them and bag up the old ones and place the newer ones neatly on the shelves. And thank Jr also for lighting that lighthouse candle and leaving it on the side of the tub so JoJo's tail could wag it into the tub, and break it into little pieces. It never really did match any of my decorating. And in a few more days, the new hinges and handles will arrive and be installed and maybe I'll post a picture of the newly painted cabinets.

Next, yesterday is the first time I've eaten a Twinkie in I don't know how long. I liked them as a kid, but I think the last time I ate one was shortly after my mom got a microwave oven. One of the first ones in the neighborhood--almost as large as a real oven. My dad thought it was amazing that you could put a stale roll or piece of bread into the microwave for 22 seconds and it came out warm and soft and tasty. That Twinkie? It was a bit stale. So I put it in and 22 seconds later, I had a warm Twinkie with hot, liquid white stuff inside. Totally ruined Twinkies for me.

But yesterday, after doing Calculus homework for all of my life in the past week, I was ready for a treat. We had no ice cream, no cookies, brownies would take too long to make, and I'd already had watermelon. So Jack and I had Twinkies. And tonight, we had another one each. Costco. It's going to kill us all.

And speaking of Calculus. Class was tonight. Turns out the homework and practice test and test are not due until next week. Tonight I am not doing Calculus homework. I am watching TV. Have I ever explained my theory about math? I have this idea that there was only so much math available, but one day, two brothers were trying to outdo each other in math, and when they got to the end of math, one of them made up imaginary numbers. And to outdo him, the other brother made up square roots and decimals and on and on and on. If you doubt the truth of this, let me just show you what I learned in Calculus tonight:

The limit of a constant is the constant.
The limit of a power is the power.
The limit of a root is the root.

See. Is that from the minds of a couple of nine-year-olds or what?

Lastly, maybe. That baby jumpy seat I bought for $5? Remember how hard I had to work to get Cailin to smile? Turns out that:

Baby jumpy seat + Cailin = giggling, smiling, twirling, adorable darling.

Okay. Lastly, for sure. I don't think I'll be trying to save Oscar from Gus Gus again. Not after he sank his fang into the skin between my fingers as I tried to move him off the desk that GusGus was jumping up onto. The fang caused bleeding, but not enough--apparently all of those first aid lessons in girl scouts were right about puncture wounds getting infected, because after just 24 hours or so, my knuckle is kinda red and swollen.

Okay. Really last. There is nothing like a granddarling telling you that she finally figured out what it means when someone says you are in their minds and in their hearts. She learned it from a card from her gramma. And she told Jack and me that it means you love them and they love you. And we are in her mind and in her heart.

2 comments:

Skybird said...

I chuckled several times through this, but not so much as to the math!

After your two brothers had gone as far as they could with math, they turned their thoughts to government accounting, and the IRS was born.

I know. I live it. And I heard a friend of mine say the other day that you don't need to know math to be an accountant... you just have to know where to put it!

Hmmmm.....

Johanna said...

Oh, Grandma...if you've taught her that, you've taught her everything that counts. Good job!