Sunday, April 20, 2008

910-4544

Yesterday, while driving to get my hair cut, I came up behind a white truck that had some of those white window stickies on the back window. As I got closer I realized it said something about dog pooh removal and this phone number--910-4544.

You may recall that here in the gardens we have two large collies who are too old and arthritic to go for walks where we could pick up their pooh in a little plastic bag (which is just as well because I think that picking up dog pooh with a baggie would cause me to retch and throw up and then I'd have to carry an extra baggie to clean up that mess) Let's just say that we have lots of large dog pooh around the yard that needs to be cleaned up regularly.

Of course I did the only thing to do when I saw those white window stickies yesterday--I pulled up alongside the white truck (now I'm wondering if it was white?)...anyway, I pulled up beside the truck and started honking my horn. Those two guys in the truck must have had the radio jammin' because my little Scion's horn is pretty loud and sharp and they didn't even look my way.

Obviously, I took that as a challenge, staying alongside them and honking, until we stopped at the next light. Then they looked over. Of course, I gave them the international roll-down-your-window signal and they complied.

Our conversation went like this:

Gilian: How much do you charge?

Truckguy: Oh, that's not me, it's him--pointing to the driver

G: Okay, how much do you charge?--pointing to the driver

Truckdriverguy: Well, it depends.

Truckguy: I have a bull mastiff and he charges me about $10 per week.

Truckdriverguy: Yeh, if you sign up for six months, it's $5 per bag for the spring cleanup, and then $7 for the first dog and $10 dollars for two dogs per week.

G: Okay, thanks, I'll keep your number.

Truckguy and Truckdriverguy: Okay, thanks--

And we drove our separate ways on down the road.

So there you go. It just goes to show that if somebody can make money doing it, somebody will. Now that's as American as you can get. Seriously.

No comments: