Sunday, April 13, 2008

without specifying anybody in particular

Yesterday afternoon, Jessie, Shilo, the girls, and I went to a bridal shower for Jack's niece. It was at his mother's house and it was very nice--she had her house cleaned on Thursday (less stress) and hired a caterer (even less stress) and it was fun to see the cute little bride so excited about a set of sheets or a mattress pad. OOH! Pillowcases!!

Towards the end of the shower, the door opened (no knocking or doorbell ringing) and in she walked--thru the dining room and into the middle of the party. Totally uninvited--to the party or into the house. She greeted Jack's somewhat surprised mother, saying she just wanted to make sure that Jessie and Shilo knew that she had purchased diapers for all three girls and had left them at my house.

Background Information: 1. Since the birth of the first girl, she has provided all of the diapers for the three girls, with the exception of maybe two boxes of diapers for each girl. A considerable expense, much appreciated by Jessie and Shilo, but always with the expectation that they needed to come to her house to pick up the diapers. On occasion, she would drop off a box at Jessie's house, on her way out of town to Mesquite, but not very often. More often, she would call me or the girls' mothers to constantly remind them that she had diapers at her house for them, when would they be coming over to pick them up--today? tomorrow? soon? Don't they appreciate the diapers? 2. Lest you think she arrived at the bridal shower completely unaware that it was happening, just know that she had asked me about it no less than three times last week, in addition to once that morning, and one other time when she visited Jack's mom while the house cleaners were there.

Back to the story. After explaining to Jack's mom the reason for her visit, she immediately moved to Jessie, who was holding Janey, who was, luckily, swaddled in a blanket, because Jessie had somehow forgotten to bring socks for Janey and we would have never heard the end of that--what kind of mother takes a five-week-old out in public without socks? Next she chased Breanne towards me, asking her to please give her a kiss, which, of course, Breanne refused to do. Thank heavens she didn't catch up with Breanne, because Breanne had a runny nose and she would have insisted on forcibly wiping it while Breanne wailed at the outrage. Realizing that Breanne wouldn't cave, she moved up behind me, trying to get Audrey to allow herself to be lifted off of my lap so that she could kiss and hug her, but as with Breanne, that wasn't gonna happen either. Next she looked down at me while telling me that she had purchased diapers for the babies and left them at my house. Then she gave the same message to Shilo who was sitting less then two feet away from me. She then turned and walked back through the guests, stopping to say hello to Jack's aunt who used to live in the house behind her house.

She seemed to realize at that point that she really didn't belong there, ensuring that everyone knew that she had purchased diapers for the three girls and had left them at my house. I watched as she slipped back through the dining room and out the front door.

You probably know how much I respect my therapist and all of the suggestions she has made that have been so very helpful. But somehow, when one of these events happens, I am left speechless--all of the great suggestions are locked in some room, way in the back of my brain, along with my ability to verbalize anything.

What can I say? It is whatever it is.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Well, like I said before, I think you handled the invasion, er, I mean situation, very gracefully. I don't know what else could've been done.