Friday, April 11, 2008

i can wait no longer

On Monday, March 31, the eldest grandbabygirl turned two years old. Hard to believe. I have been waiting since the party on March 30 for some pics from the gala to post with these thoughts, but I can wait no more. It was a two-unwrapped-gifts-night---for me.

You may recall that the Saturday before the party was not one of my better days. After the crushing blow administered by my parents, I was certain that had it been nearly any other kind of party, I would have graciously excused myself and stayed home in bed with a pint of Ben & Jerry's or at least a king-sized Reeses' with a large diet coke.

But, it was Breanne's birthday and how could I miss that. Besides Jack and I had found some adorable clothes and some other stuff, including a little Elmo that was obviously going to be just the right size for a two-year-old.

We were a bit late arriving at the party. In fact, when we got there, everybody else was already there--Cory's parents, sisters, my parents, Jack's mom, our other kids and Audrey--pretty much everybody. When we entered the house, Jessie was showing Jack's mom around their home because she hadn't seen the place yet, and as we said hello to everyone, I heard Breanne's voice asking, "Gamma?" and Jessie answering, "Yes, it's Gamma!" And then Breanne ran through the kitchen, calling, "Gamma? Gamma?" She saw me and jumped up so I could pick her up and hug her. Always a good feeling. At that point, everyone in the room exclaimed, nearly in unison, "You're the only one she would go to--she refused to let her mom put her down and she refused to let anybody else touch her."

Yes, that was the first unwrapped gift to me.

Breanne then proceeded to show me her presents on the dining room table, asking if she could open them and when I said, "We'll have to ask mom," her mom nodded that it was okay and Breanne brought one present after another to me to hold while she unwrapped them. Her mom filmed it all.

After the present opening and the singing and cake and ice cream eating, the guests started to leave. As Jack and I prepared to leave, Breanne ran to me again with her arms up so I could pick her up. We gave each other loves (hugs with much oohing and aahing and patting of backs and cheeks), we gave each other kisses, and as I gave her what was intended to be the final love of the night, she said, "Gamma, IIIIIII wub ewwww." That was the first time she has ever said that all on her own without me initiating the exchange of those words.

Perhaps one of the best birthday presents ever especially since it wasn't even my birthday.

If only I had some visuals...

No comments: