Sunday, May 17, 2009

may i speak, please?

This is a short list of the things I've done this weekend (with long commentary):

1. Spent Friday night-all night!-- with Jessie's girls because it was Cory's birthday on Saturday and I casually suggested that Friday might be a good time to redeem their "Good for one night at the Marriott, including baby sitting by Gramma" coupon that Jack and I gave them for Christmas, especially since we planned to give them some money for dinner for Cory's birthday. (The sweeties and I made and ate pancakes, played princesses, watched a new movie that mom Jessie put ON the fridge, gramma, not IN the fridge, slept soundly all night, and enjoyed fresh fruit and donuts for breakfast. Also, Jessie said that Cory pronounced it his best birthday present ever.)

2. Attended a "baby shower" for my niece on Saturday afternoon with my mom, Shi, Audrey, Jessie, Cory, Breanne, and Janey. (Enjoyed more fresh fruit, time with all of the girleys playing adorably together, mini-cream puffs, and lots of amazingly cute baby boy gifts. Disappointed that only my aunt and uncle and one sister-in-law attended out of a possible 50 or so relatives. Not that I expected MORE MEN at a BABY SHOWER--yes, I'm old school about showers, I like the typical shower food and I like the silly games as long as there is time to visit. But this shower was the new-fangled open house type of shower with more men then women, and none of my other nieces--who have all had babies and thus baby showers that were supported by my niece and her mom--none of said nieces attended the shower. Yes, I know people are busy, but how hard is it to stop in at an open house shower where you are not going to be able to sit down anyway because all of the men are sitting on all of the seats? Seriously. I could understand not showing up if you were generations apart, but these nieces all played together every Saturday at my mom and dad's house for years. And years. It seemed so not nice. And not very understandable.)

3. Later, Jack and I sat down to watch some racing. The phone rang and it was our eldest, who called to imitate somebody who was part of the pre-race festivities. This is the conversation Jack and I had after I got off the phone with Stu:

Me: I think we are his best friends.

Jack: What do you mean?

Me: He calls us to talk about racing and hockey like guys in beer commercials call their friends to talk about racing and hockey.

Jack: We are his best racing and hockey friends. Probably his only racing and hockey friends. We are the only people he knows who will talk about racing or hockey.

Me: You don't think he'll stop calling if I blog about this, do you?

5 comments:

Stu said...

bah.

I call you about other things... like uh,.... gardening

Lisa B. said...

Check you out, calling out all the non-attenders. Keeping it real.

Don't stop calling, eldest! It is endearing and it makes your mom and dad feel good!

Joey said...

Well, you're always taking a chance when you're hanging them out that way. But a gardening call, while not as good as a hockey call, is still a call.

Jessie said...

Strep. Strep is the reason the other nieces weren't there. They've all been sick, and didn't wish to share. Or at least that's the story I heard from 2 different sources. It would've been nice to see them, though.

And the movie was just on the counter, I swear. I didn't really mean to hide it away, just wanted it to be new and fun for you guys. Thanks again. That was a very very much needed break for us.

gilian said...

Okay, let's see. I also heard about the strep. But my sources said everyone had been on the antibiotic for over a day and thus, were "no longer contagious".

And I thought it was hilarious that Breanne couldn't make me understand that the new movie was on, not in the fridge. She tried her very best.

And I hope the calls never ever stop.