Thursday, May 7, 2009

good news

JoJo is back--acting more than a little loopy, leaping up on everything and everyone and forgetting that it hurts when she jumps down because she gives a little "YIP" every time.

Oh--I had an epiphany today, which considering the importance of epiphanies in general and this one in particular, probably warrants all caps. But I digress. Remember back a while when I set some goals to like, oh, "drink more water, forgo the daily burgers/fries/egg mcmuffins, eat fruits and veggies every day, exercise at least 30 minutes each day, and lose 40 pounds. Oh yeh, and fix the economy and settle down the world so we have peace." Last week, Jack and I decided that unless we started getting serious, none of those resolutions were going to happen. (I realized also that even though we bought a new American-built truck and a new computer monitor and stopped discussing politics in heated voices, we probably couldn't fix the economy and create world peace by ourselves.)

But that isn't the epiphany.

So what we did was we made a serious commitment in the form of hiring a trainer, Carla, who is a very nice, if somewhat shy woman, who we visit weekly, so she can measure us all over and pinch our fat, and push us onto the scale. Then she gives us menus--exact amounts of everything we can eat for the week, and then she gives us a list of exercises including how many reps or how many minutes, and she assures us that we will begin burning fat and building muscle, losing fat and gaining muscle, becoming more fit and healthy and able to move more with ease.

That is not the epiphany.

Jack and I have started eating healthily, and exercising regularly, and drinking more water, and drinking less soda. And today, I realized, that for the first time in my life, I have begun eating simply because my mouth is empty.

~~~NO WONDER I'VE PUT ON WEIGHT! I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE ABOUT EATING--EAT WHEN YOU'RE HUNGRY AND STOP WHEN YOU ARE NOT. ~~~

That is the epiphany.

No comments: