Monday, January 18, 2010

one toke over the line

Before I begin the true story of this post, let me update you on the bff project.

I think we have reached that point in the cartoon where the cats in the house pull stunts that get the dog in trouble. That's really all I can say right now except that we haven't given up yet.

About the true story of this post. I think I mentioned Jack and I are working on an office upstairs in the gardens. We have hardwood floor to install, but of course, first the walls needed new paint. Jack and I agreed on library red for the below-the-chair-rail area and powdered allspice for the above-the-chair-rail area. It sounded so good, in fact, that I've been thinking about renaming the room "The Study."

Did I ever tell you the story about the color I painted the dining room when we first moved here? It was a delightful, sunny, sponged-on yellow. I loved it. (note the past tense.) Every time Jack's mom came for a visit, her first words were, "Oh my, this is soooo yellow," as if that were a bad thing. Eventually I gave up and painted it a muddy brown that suited almost everyone most of the time.

Back to The Study. I put on the second coat of library red tonight and began the powdered allspice. Almost immediately, I began to feel as though the room was closing in on me. Like it was a giant shadow behind me. Do you remember the crayon color combinations you liked when you were in, oh, maybe, 2nd grade? Because all this room needs is a pair of white patent leather kneehigh boots to complete its outfit. I think this may be the first time in recent memory that I'll need to test the thing I've said for years about painting--if you don't like the way it looks, go buy another gallon and repaint it for what, $20? I was convinced that Jack would be asking if I thought I was preparing a room for the girlies, but he simply, quietly, gasped, held his breath and his tongue, and said, "Maybe it isn't the powdered allspice. Maybe it's the library red."

All I know for sure, is that if I don't change something in there, Jack's mom will never comment about my yellow dining room again...

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

Have I told you the story about the first time we painted our living room and it looked like the fires of hell? Literally? I kept painting, thinking, maybe when we do the whole room, it will look like I envisioned it! Golden! and Sunny! But no.

We repainted. Oh yes! we repainted.

But we kept one little piece of the fiery, as a memento to our process.