Saturday, January 16, 2010

you are so not going to believe this



But I am in a math class. Oh yes, another math class. Okay, so it isn't a different math class, it's 1010. Again. I don't have to take it again. I want to.

Seriously. Quit laughing.

I got a C+ when I took an online class during the summer of 2007. It should have been a better grade, but online classes are risky because if you don't pay close attention when the teacher changes the due dates, you can get confused and find yourself unable to turn in your last assignments and there goes your B. That you worked off your tail to earn. If only it had been my thighs I'd worked off. I might not be so bitter about the C+.

Anyway. I need to take two more math classes, but decided that I'd better redo 1010 because a) I needed a good review after two & a half years away from math, and b) I'm a grade hog--I want at least a B because I am above average-plus, which is the very definition of C+.

So. I'm in Friday night/Saturday morning math 1010 class, my teacher's name is Ping, and after sitting through the first session, I realized that nobody in that class is any smarter at math than me because if they were, they would have taken this class in high school or tested out. So, see, I fit right in. Even if most of the class could be my grandkids. Okay, maybe not my grandkids, but certainly my surprise babies.

oh--the picture of Audrey? Has nothing to do with this post. I saw it on Shi's facespace and something about it was so sweet that I pirated it to share with you.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Cute pic!

Re math: I was lucky enough, in my undergrad years, to be on the tail end of the 60s leftover aura, where educators could say things like, "it's not really math they need to know, it's a *symbol system,*" which meant, yeah, I took MUSIC THEORY as my math. This was at BYU, if you can believe it.

The upshot of that was, I could never help my kids do their algebra, because it was so very very long ago, as in, it was when I was in high school. But omg, I could totally help them with their symbol systems knowledge, aka, their music theory.

I still carry around a vague sense that I cheated, somehow. Even though they totally allowed it.

Stu said...

"cheating" as you refer to it still goes on. I took a couple math classes and a geography seminar that counted as computer science credit. To be fair, the math courses did involve a reasonable amount of programing (I'll not mention the geography class). But, it was nice to be able to count a single class towards multiple graduation requirements.

Jessie said...

My favorite was my Intelligent Life in the Universe class that counted as a physics class... I have no idea how that one worked out. Also, I covered the math requirement with Stats... which seems iffy to me, too. But hey, it allowed me to graduate in 3 years, so I'll take it.